Day One SF Food Bank - February 4, 2015

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

PHS Middle School students Support Glide the Morning of 12/07/11

The PHS 6th and 7th graders rolled out of bed before the sun was up this morning! Thirteen of us met on a sidewalk in San Francisco's notorious Tenderloin at 6:30 AM. We spent the morning serving meals in the Glide Coffee House and worked preparing foods in the kitchen. Our students put an amazing amount of energy into Glide's many projects!



I chose to volunteer at Glide today because you get to help homeless people that need food. My jobs were to put pears inside containers and taking bread out of their bags and putting them into boxes. My favorite part was being able to talk to people while also working with them.

I didn't have a least favorite part because it was just so fun and awesome that there was nothing wrong with it.

~ Issalin Lopez

I chose to volunteer because I thought it would be cool to help people. My job today was serving people and refilling the pitchers with either water or coffee. My favorite moment was everything! My least favorite moment was nothing!

~ August

I choose to volunteer because I thought it would be fun. And it was! I put pears and various breads into big containers. These go to people who will prepare the food. My favorite part was when my friends where throwing pears at me. We were still getting work done, but it was fun. My least favorite moment of the day was that we had to wake up early. But it was worth it; another was wearing a hair net.

~ Isabella

Some would consider waking up at 5:00 am for the sole purpose of feeding the homeless a loss. I did too, until I went to Glide. I believe in the cause. I enjoyed my time, and believe I came out as, albeit it slightly, better person. During my time I prepared food for the homeless, additionally I was able to view the world of the homeless from their perspective. I truly become one of them (kind of) and was able to rethink my life. :) Bye

~ Emmett

I chose to volunteer at glide because I felt like helping people. After going there once I want to go to there many more times. Today my job was to serve people in the coffee house, which was for handicapped people. My favorite times were when I got to bring them food. My least favorite part of the day was when we had to clean the tables and get on the bus.

~ Eloise

I chose to volunteer today at Glide because I want to help people and give people food who can’t buy themselves food. My job today was to serve food and drinks to the people at Glide. My favorite part of the day was when people thanked me for giving them food. My least favorite part of the day was when we had to leave (:

~ Jonah

I served at Glide with a remarkable group of individuals. Together we prepared food for people of the TL community, treating them as if they were guests in our homes. I believe we all have preconceptions about people grappling with hunger and homelessness. Many of us are fearful of circumstances like these and are uncomfortable confronting these issues. Working to meet peoples' needs challenges me to be less judgmental and to live with compassion. I feel blessed and grateful for getting to share experiences like these with PHS students and staff.

~ Todd

I chose Glide because I thought about people that are hungry and have no food. I always wanted to be a volunteer for a program that helps people. My jobs were to serve the people, to give them their tray, and to give them things that they need. My favorite thing was to serve food to the people, I felt really excited. My least favorite thing was going to get more food from the other room because there were so many people in the hallways.

~ Jillian

I wanted to serve at Glide for a few reasons. I had heard about how
positive the work the organization does for a long time and was
curious to see it for myself and help out. I was also looking forward
to continuing the great tradition PHS has of serving there, and
hopefully bringing some food and happiness to the folks there.
Today at Glide I was on the meat station. I started off working with
Joe wrapping turkeys in saran wrap. After we prepared 16 turkeys we
got to walk through the whole back part of the kitchen to store them
in the big freezer. It was amazing to see how much food they have
there and how organized they need to be to serve as many people as
they do. I also sliced chorizo and ham for jambalaya.

My favorite event came right after I got dropped off. I was really
grouchy and grumpy when I woke up in the morning and was not in a
great mood. But as soon as I got to Glide, saw the students, met some
people and engaged in the work it changed my day around. It was a
fantastic experience.

I wouldn't say I had a least favorite experience, although I'm looking
forward to going back to Glide and working in a different area. I
loved seeing how the organization works behind the scenes, and look
forward to having more interactions with the folks who eat at Glide
next time.

It was a wonderful experience and I was so proud of how hard the
students worked and how they rose to the occasion! I heard a few
adults comment on how great the kids at PHS are!

~ Matt

1 comment: