Day One SF Food Bank - February 4, 2015

Thursday, March 1, 2012

03/01/12 Reflections on our morning of service at Glide

Glide was an amazing experience. I met a Chinese lady who told very good story's.
I liked severing food to people and making a difference.

~ Jonah

Last Thursday we went to Glide It was very fun I served and waited tables I felt good helping people less fortunate then myself one of my favorite moments when I said have a nice day people and they thanked me. It made me feel like the people I was helping really wanted help.

~ Joe

At Glide I put boiled eggs on trays in an assemble line. I did enjoy it because I did it with my friend. Another reason why I enjoyed it was because I felt good after wards. I was giving food to people who don't have any. One special moment was when they were passing down the trays and all the bowls were usually blue and one tray had a purple bowl. Then we made the purple bowl tray perfect!

~ Isallin

I was busing tables. I was taking trays from tables and wiping down the spot where people spilled food or there were crumbs. Me Ella, Eloise and Jillian did that except Jill and Eloise were on one side and me and Ella were on the other.

I had an overall fun experience and I would like to go again. I didn’t really like it when it got really crowded but it was still fine.

I remember when I first got there and I was so exited to help people. I was really scared that I was going to be late. I got there when it was 6:47 and I thought I was going to be last but I wasn’t so it was good.

~ Daniella

Glide was very fun and we all had at a lot of fun, one specific moment was when me and Jonah were talking to a nice lady. My job was working in the Coffee House and it was fun because you get to bring the food to the people. She was nice because she was kind to us and she wouldn't stop talking to us.

~ August

At Glide I worked in the main room with Jillian, Ella and, Daniella. I enjoyed it but not as much as last time when we worked in the coffee house. There was one guy who yelled at me when I asked him if he wanted me to take his tray. I loved going to glide because it makes you feel better about homeless people.

~ Eloise

At Glide I put boiled eggs on trays in an assembly line. I did enjoy it because I did it with my friend. Another reason why I enjoyed it, I felt good after wards. I was giving food to people who don't have any. One special moment was when they were passing down the trays and all the bowls were usually blue and one tray had a purple bowl. Then we made the purple bowl tray perfect!

~ Isabella

I observed PHS students, specifically Jonah and August, despite the early morning hour, work hard, be attentive to tasks at hand, charm and delight the coffeehouse guests, and were respectful to all. They were content.

A while ago, I read somewhere that what drives people to excel is to feel of use. That is exactly what I felt yesterday morning and was witness to seeing PHS students at their best.

It was a great start to the day, and the positivity generated there sustained me throughout the day.

~ Eleanor

Thank you for letting me be a part of the Glide Breakfast service as a parent representative of one of the children in your Committee.

At any giving time, within the 2hrs busing tables this morning, it was: fun (?), interesting (?), messy (?), terrifying (?), and rewarding (?).

Not often does an event, in such a short period of time, help us reflect and add such a broad perspective to our lives and the lives of our kids.

Thanks, joey

I enjoyed the early morning drizzle awaiting the arrival of our team of volunteers. It was a pleasure standing, laughing, and joking with Isallin on the curb in front of Glide. Isallin greets everyday with a generous smile and an open heart. Our students' passion for giving back is an inspiration. It means so much to be able to serve and be some small part of these young peoples' lives.

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment