Day One SF Food Bank - February 4, 2015

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Mindsets Tranformed

When I go to Glide, I really learn about what's outside of my daily life. To take the time out my daily schedule and be grateful for having food and a home makes me feel great. I love saying "Good Morning!" to all of the Glider's and usually getting a thank you and good morning back. I always feel grateful for everything I have and it always makes me feel better. Helping one another in the San Francisco community can always change how you feel towards others.

I go to Glide because I love learning new things from others and seeing what goes on outside of my daily life. Glide is also a great way to meet others and learn more about them. Glide is also super fun because you are giving others something they don't have, but need in their lives like any other human being. I think it's great that Glide gives resources to others to live, because when you think about it, the homeless really need it to live and be humans like everyone else.

~ Nisrine

Volunteering at Glide again reiterated the fact for me that so much of San Francisco is without food security. For me, Glide was an introduction to the quarter of San Francisco that is not able to support everyday necessities. Through volunteering, we create a community of support. One in four residence of San Francisco is food insecure. So many in our own San Francisco community struggle with everyday necessities while many others live without fully understanding these hardships. Glide is a great way to experience how many in San Francisco cannot provide everyday necessities and feel like your giving back to the community.

~ Ellie

Volunteering at Glide is an amazing experience to come and learn more about how not everything is perfect, and not everyone has as much as we do. Every time I go to glide, it opens my eyes to something new. You see, 1/4 of San Francisco is food insecure. That means that a lot of San Francisco can't get the food they need. When you go to Glide, it'll open your eyes to a world you have never seen before. You'll see people who can't afford food, more or less a place to keep them sheltered for the night.  You start learning about unconditional love. How you can love someone even if they are not related to you. You can love someone Evan if you don't even know them. Throughout the years I have been going to glide, I have learned about giving kindness, and love to ones who get beaten and stepped on. If you go to glide you will learn to love these people, that they are just like us. They just can't afford what we have.

~ Madison

Volunteering at Glide is a wonderful way to give back to people who are less fortunate. 1 out of 4 people in San Francisco are food insecure and Glide is helping to make sure that people stay healthy and get the food that they need. Helping at Glide means serving food, cleaning up, setting up, having fun, and connecting with people that are in need of help. The main reason that I participate at Glide is the satisfaction and sense of love that comes off of helping people. Glide teaches you that everyone is equal, that we all deserve the same amount of appreciation. At Glide today I was working in the "Coffee House". There, I served the elderly, families, and disabled people. I've done Glide many times and each time my mindset and perspective change. Glide is truly unique - I've never seen a place more welcoming and open. I'm really lucky to get to be apart of it.

~ Sophie

At Glide, fellow students and I learned all about unconditional love. We learned what it feels like to help out other community members that really need it.
We should be grateful for all of our privileges, especially the ones that other people don't have. When we have a necessity, that we have but others still need, we should share all of our resources. When I first went to Glide, I imagined some one trying to trip me. I was nervous.  When I left, though, I knew that everyone else there was just like me, but with less.

~ Max

Glide is not only a place to support those who need it, but a place of family and community. I participated for the first time on Wednesday and had the best time, I had never seen something so amazing. I watched from my little salt and pepper corner as 550 people filed in, got a warm meal and left happy. If someone got upset or needed something it was solved with a gentle smile and a little extra food. I've never experienced something so heartwarming, I met the most interesting characters and helped out in so many cool wonderful ways. I walked in thinking, " It will just be a slow morning behind a counter" but came out with a new mindset and a pair of tired legs.

~ Sofie

I think that for my first time going to Glide that I did good. I think when I was waiting I was scared that something bad will happen to me but know I am wanting to go back. I also think that we do Glide because we give food to people that cant feed themselves. I had a great time.

~ Tia

I thought Glide and working in the Coffee House were really fun. It was really fun because I got to speak with a lot of people and have meaningful conversations. It was also really fun serving people and giving them food, because I realized how lucky we are to be here serving wonderful people and giving them food. Working in the coffee house was a great starter point and next time we go I really want to work in the main kitchen because it would be more fun serving more people. I noticed that a lot of people were happy to be where they were. I noticed that a lot of people gave gratitude and appreciation and I will cherish that.  Thank you for introducing me into Glide!!!

~ Lily

When I first step foot in the Glide community I was nervous, scared, and worried. After I started serving food it was fun and interesting to see how other people lived and their life styles. It felt good to feed people that didn't have enough food to eat. It was really tiring but it still felt good and was all worth it. My job was to bus guests' trays, put dirty trays in the washing dish area and filling up the milk, juice, and coffee. I liked helping other volunteers to get new drinks and help carry the trays. I would definitely do Glide again.

~ Mariela

I loved going to Glide and serving food to people. It was a really fun experience. I liked having conversations with the people that we serve the food to. It was my first time going there and I had a whole different picture in my mind of what it would look like and be like. I liked coming back to school and telling all of my friends that didn't go how it was and that they should go next year. I am going to go next year if I can.

~ Mina

My perspective on Glide has changed throughout my entire experience at PHS. In the beginning of my time at Glide, I was afraid to participate as much as I did today. Over the years, I have found that I throw myself into all the opportunities we have to help, and work to the best of my ability. We do Glide to appreciate all we have, and to help the people in our community. I love the feeling of gratitude I get from people when working at Glide.

~ Estelle

My mindset and perspective have changed as well as how I see the world. After I went to Glide, I started seeing all things in a whole new light. At first I thought it would be scary because I thought the people would be mean, but that wasn't the case at all. Everybody at Glide is very nice and treat people nicely as well.  I never thought I would interact with people at Glide the way I do. I remember that many people made me laugh and were very nice. I believe that we work at Glide to make us appreciate what we have and see the world in a new light. I think that helping out the less fortunate really makes you think about life in a different light. I am so fortunate to be part of a school that offers Glide and many other opportunities.

~ Julianna

My mind set on Glide has changed over the last two year dramatically. My fist time going I was scared if everything I saw, didn't talk to anyone and stayed near my friends the whole time. Now that I have gone there many times, I feel comfortable and excited to meet and serve the people.

We support Glide to give back to our community because all of us are very privileged, and it feels good to give back to those who are less fortunate. Glide is a way to see and better understand how people that are food insecure or homeless live. When I leave Glide I always feels a sense of accomplishment come over me, and I feel that I have made a difference in at least one person's life.

~ Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment