Day One SF Food Bank - February 4, 2015

Monday, February 3, 2014

PHS Street Retreat Friday 01/24/14

I had an wonderful time during the street retreat and serving people at Glide. I used to walk through the Tenderloin scared to death! I was scared that some homeless person would kidnap me. I went on that street retreat and everything changed. I said, "Hi!" to people and they said, "Hi!" back to me. My real burst of reality was when I had to go back to a soup kitchen to feed myself. Needing to go back to the soup kitchen for food gave me inspiration to write and here it is:

  I see homeless people as I walk by...
  I let out a sigh...
  It makes me think...
  Why?
  Why what?
  Why are these people homeless?
  They all once had friends, houses, homes and families!
  I wonder, "How would it feel if it happened to me? All people deserves to be happy!'

~ Meena

We served food to people in need and they were very thankful because they have food in which makes them happy.

We talked to people and they said we were doing a good thing to help the less fortunate.

My group sat with two ladies at the cafeteria who barely even knew each other but they were talking and making jokes like they were friends for years and they seemed really happy.

~ Lane

We served people food who were in need of it. These people were very happy to see the food.

The people we served talked with each other as if they have been friends their whole life even though they just met.

Many of the people there were friendly and were very open to talking. People would help each other by giving them the food that they did not want as much as the other person. Many of them would say thank you as they left.

~ Luke

Our Tenderloin Adventures.
By Liang
Mission Statement Line:

A World in which All People will be happy!

While in the Tenderloin, I found that wherever I looked there was another beside me. You could call it crowded, but I call it it’s own little community. Every time I smiled at someone I got a huge grin back, maybe some of the “grinniest” grins I’ve ever seen. The Tenderloin is a city of it’s own, a different and most definitely diverse city. If I could describe the Tenderloin in one word, I’d probably say, togetherness. You walk around and you can tell immediately that everyone knows each other. From across the street you’ll see someone yell “Alex!” or perhaps “Lisa!” and they’ll be looking right at you. But then you realize they’re calling the person behind you. Afterwards, you feel like you want to be apart of their community, you want to know that almost everyone around you knows what your name is. It makes you feel, significant, even if these people aren’t as wealthy or fortunate as you. Overall, going to the Tenderloin was a fantastic experience, I’m not saying I’d beg to go back, but if you ever get the chance. Take it.

★Please take note that on this adventure I was accompanied by Ben, Hudson, Lane, Katy, Petal, Pilar, Isabell, Ben, Clara, Luke, Meenaa, and Tanya★

~ Liang

We want to create a world that let's everyone have imagination and creativity.

There were kids playing in a park and they were making up a game And they were being very creative.

~ Petal

People need to be capable of speaking to people for help and help for other people.
My understanding is that people in the Tenderloin might connect with this quote because some of them are poor or homeless and need help sometimes. And sometimes they need to ask for help for a friend or family member who can't or don't want to ask for help themselves.

~ Hudson

At PHS we want a world where everyone helps each other to be their best and achieve what each person can achieve. We help each other and other people in San Francisco when other people in our community need this help.

My experience during our field trip to the tenderloin and especially Glide Church was a great example of the PHS community reaching out to others to help others who need us. We helped the community by giving food to people who cannot afford it. Those people could not achieve the task of feeding them selves so we spent our time helping them.

~ Ben

I hesitate to say that my time in the Tenderloin was fun. To describe it thusly, perhaps implies a flippant attitude, or that I have turned a blind eye to the people who call it their home... However, that is far from true. Doing this project has opened my eyes, not only to the suffering and hardship, but to the bright spots of friendship, harmony and hope, found in the Tenderloin.

Life is not easy in the Tenderloin. Sadly, there are many people in this position.

Most people we saw, had at least one other person with them. Community seemed very important to the people of the neighborhood.

There are many beautiful works of art to be found in the Tenderloin. Often putting the neighborhood in a positive light. There are many very talented individuals, living on the streets.

The Tenderloin National Forest is a beautiful garden, a contradiction of most people's preconceived notions of the neighborhood.

My time in this infamous neighborhood taught me to open my eyes to the people around me. To observe both the bad and the good and to not judge either way. I would willingly return to the Tenderloin, volunteer at Glide and talk to the people living there. I believe it is an experience from which all of us could benefit.

~ Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment