Day One SF Food Bank - February 4, 2015

Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday 01/28/11 PHS Serves Breakfast at Glide

Reflections on Our Time at Glide Friday 01/28/11

I really enjoyed my time at Glide. It was very different from all the other times that I’ve visited Glide because usually I serve in the coffeehouse. This time I was part of the food prep line and I had the opportunity to see the people we were serving when they got their food. Everyone was very gracious and polite and it was great to see how much we were helping them. Volunteering at Glide is a really great experience to have. I hope that everyone gets a chance to do it because you learn a lot while you’re there. You learn that you shouldn’t judge the homeless people that you see and that instead of avoiding them, you should find a way to help them. Volunteering anywhere is really important, but at Glide you can see the difference you are making.

~ Sofia

I noticed a lot of people were very polite, and thanked Camille when she gave them their food. People sometimes thanked me, also, for wiping the tables and refilling the pitchers of coffee, milk and water. But one thing that made me sad was how many people came, wanting food. It made me think of how many others there could be out there in the world, without the help from a soup kitchen. However I still felt happy that our school was doing something to help the poor.


One part that made me scared was there was a fight in the back part of the restaurant. Also some of the people in general made me feel unsafe. It is kind of hard not to judge them… though I am mostly good at not judging them, there are some people that I get uncomfortable with there.


I enjoy volunteering at glide. I like being with my friends and doing something good for other people. I would have liked to work in the food line instead of on the floor “waiting on tables.” But I still had fun. I hope that I can go again soon to volunteer with my class.

~Katrien


I had fun seeing how grateful the people were that we were serving. It's really sad how many people need those meals. My arm got really tired from putting utensils on trays, but it was worth it to see those happy people.


~Chiara

My experience at glide was fantastic. I had fun working with my friends and dancing to the music! I would so go back!

~Camille


Nothing feels more human and important than serving others and sharing a meal with people, no matter if this is around the dinner table in my home or at the welcoming tables of Mo's Kitchen at Glide.


Getting to support the Tenderloin community and share this experience with PHS students, parents and staff is profoundly meaningful to me. I'm grateful for and impressed with how generously everybody gave of themselves and how hard they worked! This world is definitely a better place for having each of them in it!


~Todd


My day at glide was and amazing experience. It is horrible seeing how many people can’t feed themselves.  I was working at the sugar distributor place and every time i gave them sugar they would say thank you so much and have a nice day. The same time I was helping people and having a blast it was very sad because over 700 people came in that morning. I was wondering were do they all stay? The streets all over San Francisco. I am glad that I could help someone out and make him or her have a better day.

~Genevieve

I just wanted to express my appreciation of your help in organizing the volunteering at Glide, and for the experience Camille had yesterday.  She said it was "life changing" to volunteer there, and talked a lot about it last night.  I think it was all the more powerful for her to have this experience with her classmates and you and Tony.
 

Thank you for including Camille in this valuable opportunity!

~Kara

When I went to glide I'm not going to lie it smelled sweaty and that's awful.  I felt bad for the homeless and didn't think about how I was helping them, but all I was doing was putting oranges on trays.  It got boring after looking at all of the oranges so I fell asleep with my eyes opened and my hands were still moving.  It was weird but there is this girl called Isabel and she started to talk to me which woke me up.  It felt good taking a nap.  But then I looked at all of the homeless and saw hundreds of homeless.  I didn't even think there was that many homeless in San Francisco.  But then I felt good feeding them.

~Johnny Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment