Day One SF Food Bank - February 4, 2015

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Do Gooders Reflect on Their Morning of Service at Glide

My motivation for serving at Glide is providing food for those who can’t provide food for themselves. It is a great way to give back and benefit the community. It was a really fun experience. Today I had a different job than I had previously. I handed trays to the arriving people. It was really sad to see everyone so appreciative of food that we take for granted.

~ Ellie

Today, when I served at Glide, I worked in the Coffee House serving disabled people and families. I experienced that working to help people takes a lot of effort and hard work. I worked to help people at Glide that are in need and that have a hard time feeding themselves properly. The thing that I enjoyed the most about serving homeless people at Glide is to see how people live their lives, especially families, and how they find help and shelter. Today I lived the PHS mission of "World Citizens who advocate for themselves and others” by helping people not only from my community, but from the whole city.

~ Charly

I serve at Glide because it's really fun to serve these people. It's a way to give back to our community and care for other people. I also serve at Glide because everyone is so happy and thankful for us being there. Whenever you give someone their tray or refill their water they're so grateful. We go to restaurants all of the time and never really think about the people taking their time to serve us. It's a good way to put yourself in their shoes and help those less fortunate. I really enjoyed everything about Glide. I was doing a different job than last time so it was nice to experience something new and exciting. Everyone who was working with me got really emotional when we would have families with kids come in. The little kids were so happy and didn't really get how unfortunate their lives were. It really made me appreciate how I should be happy given everything that I have, if these kids have it worse and are so happy. I lived the PHS mission by going to Glide and helping serve the less fortunate.

~ Sophie

The reason I go to Glide is because it's fun to serve people and become kind of like busboys. My jobs were putting the bread and sugar on the plates and clean tables. My favorite thing about serving is being part of providing meals. I lived the PHS mission by showing I demonstrate challenge-seeking and resilience, because I took a risk and worked at Glide.

~ Eloise

I serve at Glide because, I feel very happy seeing all of the smiles on those peoples' faces. Today at Glide I experienced, the gratitude of other people, and see how thankful they are to have Glide as their food source. The thing I have enjoyed most about serving is it makes me feel satisfied to see that those people are getting food in their stomachs. I lived the PHS mission by sharing my kindness with others.

~ Madison

I serve at Glide because I love to be a waiter. Today I had the experienced helping poor people by feeding them. What I enjoy about serving was yelling “Hot Stuff!” when I had pitchers of coffee in my hands. I lived the PHS mission by trying to create world in which all people are happy.

~ Ryan

Today was my first time serving at Glide and it was an incredible experience. I serve at Glide because I want to connect with people who live in this city and help make it possible for those who are hungry or in need to get what they need. I experienced a lot of joy meeting people and doing my job which was working the floor clearing tables and getting people what they needed for their breakfast. I also experienced pain seeing up close how much need there is in this city and how many people are really hungry. I am thankful that there is an organization like Glide that feeds over 700 breakfast meals to people who need it. I really liked making eye contact with people and exchanging "good mornings." I also enjoyed seeing people share a meal together. I am thankful for seeing all of our students engage deeply with the mission of PHS and give their energy and enthusiasm to this work. I lived the PHS mission today by modeling care for the people in my community. I also lived the mission through helping encourage students to advocate for themselves and for others. I am thankful for this experience and look forward to serving again!

~ Kelsey

I serve at Glide because I believe it is a great way to help out our community, and people in need. I feel enlightened when someone appreciates me being there, so I am always glad to lend a hand. Today I experienced giving to the less fortunate, which was absolutely rewarding. The thing I enjoyed most about serving was, being a small part of the Glide process. I lived the PHS mission by demonstrating effort and engagement during my job at Glide.

~ Estelle

I served at Glide because it helps people who couldn't otherwise get breakfast. Today I experienced how hard it is helping these people get the food they deserve. The thing I most enjoyed was feeling I was helping people and making the coffee. I lived the PHS mission by connecting my hands, mind and heart while helping others.

~ Nathan

I serve at Glide because I want to help those less fortunate than myself. Today I experienced the joy of helping families, disabled, and the elderly. The thing I enjoyed most about serving was when young kids, disabled people or the elderly said, "Thank you" to me. It was so sweet and special. I lived the PHS Mission by demonstrating effort and engagement throughout our service.

~ Henry

I serve at Glide because I think the people who work there can't serve the homeless every early morning and they need help. I also feel bad and I would like to help and see the people who I share this world with.

Today I experienced patience. There are people who don't have as many rights and privileges as others, but they have a rare thing, patience. They give their friends or children food that they have been waiting for and it comes all from the heart. I found that heart warming.

The thing I enjoyed most about serving was how they shared their food and sacrifice the thing they want for friends or children.

I lived PHS' mission by demonstrating challenge seeking and resilience. I did this by keeping a positive attitude in the morning and challenging myself to try new things like working in the coffee house.

~ Nisrine

I serve at Glide because I enjoy serving those who are less fortunate than myself. Today I experienced friendship, family and sadness. The thing I enjoyed most about serving was seeing the smiles of others, as well as serving food. I would like to maybe do for a summer job in the future, to be a waitress. I lived the PHS mission by demonstrating effort and engagement.

~ Laura

I served at Glide because it would help me get into more high schools, I still loved helping people who need it, and the good feeling I get afterwards is better than anything else. Today I experienced many challenges, such as going to the wrong place with the wrong things and figuring out where those things actually go. The thing I enjoyed most about serving was the wonderful feeling you get when you help a less fortunate person and they say, “Thanks!” It's amazing. I lived the PHS a mission by helping people who needed it. Glide is amazing.

~ Max

I serve at Glide because I like to help people out who are in need because I realize how really fortunate I am. I want to give something back to people who are not as fortunate. Today I experienced a sense of community, because when I was collecting the trays. I also saw everyone sharing their food and having conversations. The thing that I enjoyed most about serving was getting to talk to everyone, and seeing that there is more to a person than what they look like. I lived the PHS mission by being kind and having a fun time with my friends.

~ Sophia

I serve at Glide because I really enjoy seeing people affected by the work we do. Today I experienced working in the main dining room. It was very fun and I had never worked in the big dinning room before. The thing I enjoyed most about serving was how everyone was so appreciative of our work and I saw a lot of happy people. I lived the PHS mission by helping everyone and doing my best to stay positive.

~ Ivy

I served at Glide because I thought it was an experience I should try in my school-lifetime and I knew I would feel proud afterwards. Today I experienced joy in providing people food and the bustle of serving people (on some level). I enjoyed it when people were yelling "Hot Stuff!" And some of the people who were eating would repeat it/laugh about it. Serving tables was also fun. I demonstrated effort and engagement when I was serving the people of the Tenderloin.

~ Montie

I serve at Glide so I can experience being a waiter to help the poor. Today I experienced a lot of fun and being a waiter too. The thing I enjoyed the most about serving was the feeling I got when I helped a bunch of people who needed coffee. I lived the PHS mission by demonstrating a love of learning through curiosity and inquiry.

~ Elliott

I serve at Glide because I like to be a good citizen of SF and because my sister and my friends go to Glide. I experienced people happy to have a warm place and a hot meal. I enjoyed seeing people smile when I served them or gave them the bigger oranges.  I lived our mission as I advocated for others by serving them food.

~ Owen

I serve at Glide because there are people who don't know where they're going to get their next meal and I like giving them that meal. Today I had the experience of helping people who don't have food and/or a house. The thing I enjoyed most was yelling, “Hot Stuff!” when I was carrying and serving coffee. I lived the PHS mission by demonstrating effort and engagement.

~ Tobin

I serve at Glide because I like being part of the solution for hunger. Any little thing I can do to help the people of San Francisco, I will. Today I experienced a sense of community at Glide, I love seeing people I have seen before at Glide. The thing I always enjoy most is the appreciation I receive from people who eat at Glide. I live the PHS mission by striving to create a place where the companionship of their peers fosters community life and helps each carry a just share of the responsibility within and beyond the walls of the school through volunteering at Glide. 

~ Clara

I want to thank all the people that support this student initiated, designed and implemented project. This community service project is authentic and truly constructivist. Our students demonstrate that they love working hard and that they have the will and wherewithal to act on their convictions. Their response to the needs of others is to share a smile, reach out and work to make all peoples' lives better. Thank you to Amy, Abby and Kathleen for making time to share in our day's adventures and accomplishments. I am inspired to be a better person and am profoundly grateful for days like today.

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment